Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dry Shampoo


Ok I know it has been a while.  Life has been a bit stressful to say the least, but I'm back and ready to tell you about something great.

If I had to choose one thing in this world that I feel passionately about, it would be dry shampoo.  I have some seriously long locks and I only wash them once a week. (Judge if you most) I love, love, love (love!!) dry shampoo. OK I don't love all dry shampoos, but I love one particular. I've been using dry shampoo for 3 years now. Long before it was an official "thing".
Back then you had basically two drug store options "Not Your Mother's" and "Treseme".  Both which in my humble opinion are not great products, but I'll get there in a minute.

First off I get a lot of questions like, "just what is Dry Shampoo?"  Dry shampoo is just what it sounds like.  It's a way to wash your hair without having to wet it and wash it. You spray it in your hair and it sucks up all of the extra grease/oil and leaves your hair smelling refreshed with a nice lift. It comes in an aerosol can.  Like this one.  

Each dry shampoo has different instructions on how to use it. So just follow the instructions on the back of the can.

Now the description above is what dry shampoo is supposed to do.  Not all brands live up to that expectation.  Actually I feel safe in saying a lot of brands don't live up to that description.


So without further ado I present my review of 15 10 dry shampoos I've personally tried.  I will rate them on a scale between 1-10. 1 being awful and 10 being the absolute best.

Not Your Mother's "Clean Freak" 3 I'm not a fan of the smell nor the way my hair felt after I used the product.  It left a lot of white residue that was nearly impossible to get rid of.  I also felt it weighed my hair down and definitely didn't suck up any grease.

Dove "Refresh Dry Shampoo"2  I wanted to like this product.  I really, really did. I had tried the original and it was a bust, but then they got this new and improved product.  Dare I say the "new" one was worse than the old one. If you like being an unmarried woman who smells like baby powder this is for you.  Me, not so much. Not only that, but it left flakes, flakes of white residue in my hair.  And my hair looked worse than before I used the product.

Tresemme "Fresh Start"  1  I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone ever, but at the time I only had two options.  At best the smell is ok.  At worst the nozzle clogs constantly.  I do recall white residue, and I swear it adds more grease than what I started with.  Stay far away from this product.

Batiste "Original Scent" 8  I loved the way this one made my hair feel and look.  There was absolutely no white residue.  My hair was full of volume and looked freshly shampooed.  It doesn't get a 10 because I really didn't love the smell. (refer to my dove review)  Luckily this company has TONS of different scents so try them out.

Batiste "Hint of Color" Dark and Deep Brown 9 Ok, ok I wanted to give this one a 10 I really did.  This product has a hint of brown for us brunettes.  That means absolutely no white residue.  I was so ecstatic when I came across this product.  All my dreams had come true, no more weird white residue at my roots making me feel self conscious.  This product smells heavenly.  It left my hair full of life and volume.  It sucked up all of the grease and left me with perfect looking hair.  Now the down side.  Remember that hint of brown.  Well it got everywhere.  Under my nails, stuck in my comb and brush, all over the counter.  You name it, it will color it.  The good news is that it comes off of all those things with just regular soap and water. You be the judge if it's worth it.

Suave Professional "Keratin Infusion" 1  (The one in the yellow bottle)  This product does not even come close to living up to it's sister product (I'll get to that one in a minute).  It literally took everything I love about the other product and threw it out the window.  The smell is awful,  it leaves the worst residue of all the products I've ever used.  It dried out my hair terribly.  Supposedly it's really healthy for your hair.  I don't buy it and I will never buy this product again.

Pantene "Root Reboost" 3  Pantene has a whole line of dry shampoos.  I really like their hairspray so I thought I'd give the dry shampoo a try.  First off this product smells like hairspray.  Not the lovely kind either.  It smells like chemicals.  It didn't leave a residue as much as it left white dots everywhere.  And it was tricky. At first my hair looked great, but as soon as I stepped outside it fell flat and the grease all reappeared.  I may give the other types a shot in the future.  Maybe not the near future, but someday.

Bed Head "Rockaholic" 7 This is the most expensive brand I tried and I had pretty high hopes.  (I'm not one to spend a lot of money.  Especially on beauty products) I liked the smell alright and it did suck up all the oil.  It left my hair full of volume and smelling great.  The one thing I didn't like was the bottle seemed to leak.  I only used it once and bam it was all gone.  I hear that the company fixed the problem, but I'm not about to spend another $20 on a barely above par product.

Psssst "Instant Dry Shampoo" 9  I loved this product.  It did wonders with my hair.  It smelled good, it added volume, shine and sucked up every bit of grease.  It was everything I could want and more.  Why then did I give it a 9?  I can't find this product anywhere in Dallas.  I've searched high and low and sure I could buy it online, but I just can't bring myself to pay shipping.  If you find it grab it and hoard it I promise you won't regret it.

Suave Professional "dry shampoo"10  This is my daily go-to.  It's cheap $2 and it is amazing.  I love this stuff.  The smell is heavenly.  My hair probably smells better after I use this than after I actually wash my hair.  It smells like fresh citrus with just the right amount of sweet.  It never leaves a white residue and leaves my hair feeling rejuvenated  and bouncy.  It sucks up every inch of grease and gives my hair a beautiful shine.  I (can) use this product for consecutive days and never have any problems with dryness.  I HIGHLY recommend this product. Like go buy it right now!!

I know there are still tons of dry shampoos I haven't tried, but rest assured I will try them and review them.  And I promise I won't go MIA for over a month ever again.



Do you have a favorite dry shampoo I don't have listed here?  Tell me all about it in the comments.






No comments:

Post a Comment